A recent survey found that nearly one-third Americans aren’t getting enough vitamin C from the foods and beverages in their diet. “When we hear so much about the obesity crisis today, it’s surprising to learn that most Americans aren’t getting enough of some nutrients in their diets,” said Andrea Astrachan, Consumer Advisor at Stop & Shop.
A simple way by which you can increase the intake of Vitamin C in your diet is by consuming Amla or the Indian gooseberry. It is the most potent natural source of Vitamin C. The amount of Vitamin C contained in this tiny fruit is the same as that contained in two oranges!
Here are some interesting aspects about Amla (Indian gooseberry)
- It is the richest natural source of Vitamin C. 100 gm. of Amla contains about 700 mg. of vitamin C, which is thirty times the amount found in oranges.
- Besides Vitamin C, it also contains calcium, iron, protein, garlic and tannic acids, sugar, phosphorus, carbohydrates etc.
- When you consume Vitamin C in the form of supplements, not all of it is absorbed in the body, however, when you eat the Indian gooseberry, its Vitamin C content is easily assimilated by the body.
- It also helps boost protein metabolism, so if you exercise and work out, you will benefit greatly from regular amla intake.
- The Indian Gooseberry helps strengthen the liver, and rid the body of toxins, which accumulate on account of consumption of alcohol, antibiotics and other medicines.
- It strengthens the body’s central nervous system.
- It is also good for the skin and if taken along with neem, it can help cure acne and pimples.
- Besides, it is also good for the hair.
- It works as a laxative and can relieve constipation.
- It is a very powerful anti-inflammatory herb.
- It increases Hemoglobin and the Red blood corpuscle count of the blood.
- It is helpful for relief from Cough, Bronchitis, Asthma.
- Amla is an excellent food for the brain. It helps in improving the brain functioning as well as mental concentration.
- It has antioxidant properties and helps combat free radicals, which are the unstable ions in the body – responsible for ageing and cell degeneration.
- It is low in sugar and has high fiber content, thus making it a must-have fruit for everyone.
- It also cleanses the mouth and strengthens the teeth.
How You Can Consume Amla
1. The best way to enjoy the benefits of Amla is to consume it raw. It could be taken with a little bit of salt for taste.
2. Amla can also be consumed as a pickle.
3. Various amla squashes or juices are available in the marketplace, making it easy to enjoy.
4. You could also buy Ayurvedic Amla Powder or Amla oil and add it to your hair directly.